viernes, 24 de octubre de 2014

The Ballad of Nessie


I know I’m posting like crazy but... what can I say? When I see something I like, I feel the necessity to share it. It’s in my nature (right in between «breathing» and «playing annoying jokes»). But don’t ya worry, this is way worth the post.

As you all may know by now, I have a thing for female animals starring cartoons (I don’t know exactly why, but it’s been happening since the beginning, so it’s a little late to play Freud on me. Sorry, guys XD) but is for that exact reason that I was so excited upon discovering this short. «The Ballad of Nessie» is yet another cartoon that I wouldn't even be aware of if it wasn't for Youtube, as this short was released as a bonus with the DVD release of Winnie the Pooh -a movie in which I have no interest- and was also shown in the theatrical form, alongside with the aforementioned movie. I should totally stop beating around the bush and get to the point now, huh? But I want to tell ya something before that... the only reason I know about this movie it’s because I LOVE ballads, and I was searching for some to listen... and it’s only because the high ranking this movie got in YT that my attention was driven to it (well deserved ranking, I shall add).

So, yeah. The Ballad of Nessie -predictably- takes place in the Highlands, where we get to meet our star, the Loch Ness Monster in person (who is, apparently, an inoffensive -yet somehow coo-coo- female who spends her whole day in a pond). She plays hide and seek with her best friend, a rubber ducky whose name may sound familiar to the members of this forum (you will find out at first sight ;)) but, in true Disney’s fashion, her life has to be ruined by someone... so, an entrepreneur takes the place to his own, demolishes it, and makes a mini golf course there, leaving Nessie in the bitter search for a new home, along with her best friend. This a good place as any to stop telling the plot, but here’s where things start to get really interesting.


First of all: This short has a really cool old-school feeling to it, accompanied with some terrific animation -especially during the second half, at a cave- and the immense talent of Billy Connolly (who is playing the narrator). Connelly is the only speaking character in the short, but with the aforementioned animation taking charge of the body language nobody need to talk, as they say all they need to communicate with expressions and wacky movements. It’s just beautiful.

Second: This plot it’s quite amazing actually, as it -just like the animation- has the same old-school feeling. I haven’t seen any Disney production feel so alive since I was a child. Everything builds up to the final with some old gimmicks that I was mostly forgotten about, and I really appreciate.

Third: This is a short, so there wasn't any time to be wasted -literally- but for once, I’d like to see some deeper representation of the Highlands... it almost seems like everytime the subject is brought to the table we can only get «bagpipes». I'm not blaming this cartoon in any way, shape, or form, but I just realized how unaware of this place I am, and how vaguely portrayed it always was.

Fourth: Just like Rude Removal this is a one-shot deal that works better as it is, but I’d love to see Nessie again in a bigger project. I truly believe that they can make her adventures look and feel just as awesome as this short was. Just a thought (ah! they definitely have to keep her mute).

With nothing more to be said -yes, I'm being merciful- enjoy the cartoon, dudes!: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22fasj_disney-the-ballad-of-nessie_shortfilms

Oh yeah, there is something more to be said: I was so unfocused today, that I actually went a beat Sol-Feace on the SEGA CD while trying to come up with ideas for this write up. Yeah, I was THAT unfocused.

First posted here: http://80scartoons.net/forum/viewtop...443&highlight=

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario